Sunday, August 12, 2012

Kath fishing on the Skeena River

When we left the Stewart/Cassier Hwy we turned west to Terrace and camped a couple of nights at the Ferry Island Camp Ground in the middle of the Skeena River. I had been wanting to try my hand at fishing for sometime and booked a guided days fishing with Rob at the Skeena River lodge, 8am to 4pm. 
River fishing is quite different from ocean or salt water fishing.  The salmon are coming up river to spawn and then die, and are not really interested in feeding when they enter the fresh water, except for the Steelhead trout that come up the rivers to spawn and then return to the sea. Steelhead are catch and release only, on non barbed hooks. So this beautie 20lb steelhead that I caught had to go back much to my dismay that it would not grace my freezer. 

Rob carefully nursed the steelhead until it was able to swim away on it's  own.
Most of the visitors to the Skeena River Lodge come from Germany or Austria for several weeks of fishing.  The Lodge supplies chairs, umbrella's, rod holders, rods and lures for the guests.
Thomas from Austria had  already met his quota when he caught this Spring Salmon, so he gave it to me as I had had to release the steelhead that I caught.
Fishing that day was slow and there was only these four spring salmon keepers but a lot of Steelhead were given another 'life'.
Rob took us over to the island in the river to fish, with the large late spring run off the river was still going down and Rob said yesterday had gone down about 18 inches and from the morning to afternoon.  A great day and now I have a reasonable idea how to go about river fishing.

No comments: